Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Black Out

Today, it was very windy, so I wasn't particularly surprised when we lost power. The funny thing is when it happened. I was taking a shower, singing happily about lumberjacks, when suddenly, the light went off. For a few seconds. Came on again. That wasn't too bad. Went off again. Make up your mind! On again. Good! Off again, and now it stayed dark.

I wasn't going to stop my shower just for a simple power outage, so I finished washing my hair and went to check on the kids. They had found candles and were unearthing flash lights from all around the house. I changed my plans about aikido and decided to stay home again, since we had no idea how long this would take, and I wanted to light a fire.



Got everything together, got the fire going. Flash lights had been found, marshmallows were being roasted, life was good. Great team building experience ^^

The outage lasted about an hour, enough to have some fun, not long enough to actually be annoying. We still have the fire going, but I am letting it die now, in the hope that maybe my kids will go to sleep. Yes, I know I have unrealistic expectations :p

I am happy about having rearranged the living room to be able to have fireplace access at all times. Sometimes I do have good ideas. Just ask my kids, I am sure they will confirm the brilliance of their mom.

5 comments:

Me said...

I have to admit that when I would see a photo on your site every now and then that showed your living room I always wondered why you kept the fireplace covered up. :)

Glad to see it's getting use AND you are making great memories for the kids!~

Jody said...

I love that you are using it too. We don't have one here, and that is one thing I miss about our old house.

FLmom7 said...

I love that your family always makes the best of things;-) The fire looks cozy.

Suldog said...

Singing about lumberjacks? "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm OK..."? Those sorts of lumberjacks?

Unknown said...

You know, merritt, looking back, I wonder too. It seemed like the right decision back then, now I wonder 'What the heck was I thinking???' I seem to have a lot of those moments :p

Yes, jody, the more I use it, the more I love it.

Shel, this was just too much fun NOT to make the best of.

Suldog, NATURALLY those sorts of lumberjacks, are there any others? ^^

Karen