Sunday, October 14, 2007

Walking with My Daughter

A few days ago, I wanted to go out for a walk, and Tara decided to go with me. It was a nice and crisp fall day, and we hiked to our local beaver pond.



We saw many beautiful fall sites and had fun checking out how low the beaver pond is now. The beavers have moved out a few years ago, and it has been a relatively dry summer, so the water level is lower than I have ever seen it. Will be interesting to see how it develops through the winter and in the spring, once the snow melts.



We checked out a nearby stream, which was not as low as I expected, given the state of the beaver pond. This means that much water much come into the beaver pond, although it is not always easy to see where that happens, I will have to check out more next time we visit.



We really need to learn how to identify mushrooms, we find so many of them during this time of the year.



We also found some blooming moss, which I have seen before, but I have no idea which kind of moss. Please leave a comment if you do know it.



It was nice to be out with just Tara, and to talk to her without anyone interrupting us, or annoying Tara. Not that she ever would be annoyed by her siblings of course, but theoretically.

3 comments:

Me said...

Love the last photo. It's so bright red! Gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

It's called Soldier Moss. Just a little fact that has lain dormant in my mind since fourth grade. Our teacher took us for a walk in the woods with a local naturalist. I had forgotten about that until I saw your photo. Thank you for rekindling a childhood memory!

Unknown said...

Thanks shannon. I had never heard the name before, now I spent some time googling it and reading up on it. It is quite fascinating.

And I can point it out to my kids, including name, next time we find it :)

Merritt, this is second time I found it, it is indeed stunningly red. Now that I know more about it, I am sure it will show up everywhere.

Karen