Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy New Year!

Today is Chinese New Year. The Year of the Ox has started. We celebrated by making a gingerbread house on Friday, and smashing it today. Since that clearly is the most traditional way to celebrate Chinese new year, no?

 


Actually, our family tradition is to build a gingerbread house between Christmas and New Year. But somehow life happened, and I did BAKE the gingerbread house, but we never put it together. Heck, not only did I not put it together, but the cats helped by knocking it down a few times, so we had nice set of broken gingerbread house pieces. Which I ignored, just so I wouldn't feel guilty. And which I told the kids to just eat the darned pieces, since those were not going to be assembled into a house.

 


On Thursday I baked new house pieces, and on Friday I made royal icing, so that Dawn could put together the house. It is nice to have kids old enough to do the work while I sit on my butt and watch soap operas on television.

 


Today we SMASHED the house, yes, using a hammer. Pictures of that will follow once I download them from the camera. Some day. I promise!

We also had Chinese take out for dinner and I BOUGHT scallions to make scallion steamed rolls, even if I never actually made them. But the intent should count for something.

 


Happy New Year!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: