Thursday, January 07, 1999

Homeschooling Questions Answered

>Hi Karen, Wow you are a busy mom!!! How do you find the energy or the
>time for yourself?

They all go to sleep rather late, so tend to sleep in. I often get an hour or more early in the morning for myself.




>When you say home schooling do you teach them yourself or do you have a
>tutor come in?

I teach them myself.



>I know this is none of my business but what made you decide on this
>decision? I'm curious since i don't know much about it and would love to
>know more.

The decision evolved over the years. I read a lot about it and felt that this might be the way to go for our family. I love homeschooling, because the kids are able to work at their own pace and have more time to follow their own interests. Especially Cees is pretty far ahead in most academic subjects, apart from writing (he is not good at fine motor skills) This way I can let him study every subject at his level, instead of at first-grade (what he should be in age wise) or second-grade (what he was in in the Netherlands) level. At the moment we are taking a break, because of the move, but we'll start again soon.



What I usually do is do all school work in the morning. It is amazing how much you can do in one or two hours one-on-one time. Then the rest of the day they are free to do whatever they want (within reasonable limits of course). They have started doing karate, which they like. I want to hook up with other homeschooling families around here, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Still in the process of unpacking and unpacking and unpacking!

There is lots of info about homeschooling on line. A nice benefit for me is that I don't have to get them ready for school really early in the morning :-) Of course the flipside of that is that I don't get the 'time off' when they are in school, but for us it is worth it.

No comments: