Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Summer = Swimming

In the summer we spend a lot of time in our town pool. The kids always enjoy the water, their friends, and their growing mastery of swimming.

 

Ever since we moved here many years ago, we have been doing swimming lessons via the park and recreation department. They are always three weeks in a row, daily lessons, and dirt cheap. I am happy to say that they definitely are worth their money, because all my kids have learned to swim this way.

 

I used to be on the deck with one or two (or more ^^) younger kids while the older ones had swimming lessons. For a few years now, Sylvia could be part of the lessons, so I would be hanging out with the other moms, or even reading a book without interruptions. One summmer I was into letter writing, so I wrote letters to family and friends and had a great time too.

 

But now swimming lessons are winding down. I have only three left in lessons, and they are progressing fast. For this year we only have 1.5 weeks to go, and I expect there is only going to be one or two more summers after this that we need lessons.

 

The end of a period, but on the flip side, this also means that I now can go swimming without having to be within close distance of the youngest ones who can't swim. Which means I can actually swim LAPS when I am in the swimming pool with them. The start of a new era!

 

When I was a teenager, I would spend all my afternoons in the swimming pool. Partly because I loved to swim. Partly because all my friends would be there and we would hang out together. I still fondly think back to those happy times.

 

This being the Netherlands, I would bike to and from the pool. Which had the interesting side effect that in the winter I would often come home with frozen hair... Too bad my kids are missing out on this :p

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

mathmom said...

I have done the frozen hair thing too ;-) It is a good excuse to learn about "sublimation".