Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tea Eggs

Especially for mongoose and anyone else who doesn't know what tea eggs are. Tea eggs basically are a Chinese snack (茶叶蛋), a hard boiled egg, boiled again in a tea marinade, after you crack the shell.

There are many different ways of varying the marinade, and they all lead to different flavorings. What is constant amongst the results is the really cool way the egg looks after you peel it. You can see the pattern of the cracks.

 


I hard boil some eggs, and try to rescue as many as I can from my kids who love hard boiled eggs. I take the eggs and crack them, trying not to break them in half by rolling them vigorously (not that that ever would happen of course...) and boil them in enough water to cover them. To the water, I add lapsang sou chong tea, anise, a cinnamon stick, some soy souce, a bit of sugar. Now simmer them for a long time (hours) to give them time to absorb all the flavors of the tea, till I suddenly remember that I am boiling tea eggs, turn off the heat, let them cool down, and refrigerate them in their marinade.

There are many tea egg recipes on line if you want to experiment.

They are fast, easy, tasty protein snacks, great on hikes, effective to entertain your friends, and wonderful for pretending to have found old dinosaur eggs in your backyard. The very first time I served those, in the Netherlands, I arranged them on a nest shaped mound of noodles and put some greens next to the eggs. They looked awesome.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Mongoose said...

Sounds... interesting. I'll have to try it. Thanks for explaining. :)

Unknown said...

You are very welcome ^^
I like how 'weird' they are in a certain sense, but they taste quite good too.

Karen

phredude said...

Wow, Karen. They look cool, almost like ceramic eggs. We love eggs in our house, so we'll have to give it try. Thanks, and take care.

Mongoose said...

So I gave it a try yesterday... Not quite successful, but interesting. I did break the egg in half. :) I also didn't boil it very long because I was in a hurry to eat it. In the end it tasted like egg and cinnamon. It was good. I'll try it again with more eggs so it's not so much work for so little food! Thanks again! :)

Allen of EOL said...

Your egg looks yummy! They're definitely best once they've chilled. My mother-in-law made some for us last week and they were so good ... I need to figure out what her recipe is :-) Thanks for the link!