Thursday, December 04, 2003

Swimming

I have really been enjoying our health club membership. Even more so than the kids I think :-) Went swimming again on Sunday, lap swimming, and easily did 40 lengths this time. Well, I had to rest a few times, but it went much easier than the week before. So either I am in better condition already, or my swimming technique is coming back to me :-)

Encouraged by that, I decided to join the 'Master's Swim Team'. It sounded good, just a nice, workout type of training. They said something like it didn't matter how good you are, as long as you can swim 2 or 3 laps you are ok. Wow, it was a bit more challenging than that! LOL Tons of swimming, timing, counting strokes, learning all kinds of drills with flippers. Totally exhausts me, but so much fun! And I feel more energetic during the rest of the day, just not during the training LOL. Today we did a lot of 50m series, with all kinds of mathematical formulas about how many strokes and how long to rest. She timed me and said I usually made a time of between 1:00 and 1:05 minutes, so I guess now I need to work on improving that. At the end we had to go FAST, and I managed them between 51 and 53 seconds! Woohoo! Took all my energy though. I know it's not much yet, but I am happy with it anyway, since I haven't been doing any swimming for almost 10 years. Geez, I am old! :-)

I almost don't dare to admit it, but I am 16w2d already! How did that happen???? And how can I still be in disbelief and wonder? Happy to have made it this far, but afraid to fully believe I will be holding a live baby in the end. I am less nauseous, and I think a bit less tired too. But the heartburn has started, which seems early. Now if only the kicking would start, that's what I am really waiting for!!!

Tomorrow morning will be my first prenatal. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I am looking forward to seeing my midwife again. On the other hand, I am so not looking forward to having to birth in the hospital this time because of the myomectomy. I haven't really been wanting to deal with it too much yet, since I first wanted to make it past the danger zone. After six home births, I have a hard time with the fact that a hospital birth seems unavoidable this time. On the other hand, a high risk birth still beats all those miscarriages. I also have a certain trepidation because everything has been going so well without seeing any one medical. Somehow I am afraid to jinx it, now that I have my first appointment.

Tomorrow night, we celebrate Sinterklaas, a Dutch predecessor of Santa Claus. There will be presents, and special candy. The weird thing is that everything has been wrapped already! Over the last 2 days too, but still... What happened to procrastination and 3 am gift wrapping sessions? LOL

No comments: