Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dear Weather Gods

First I would like to thank you for last week's ice storm. Everything looked very beautiful, covered in an inch of ice, even if 400,000 people just in New Hampshire lost power. And I loved witnessing your power when you slammed down many tree branches in my back yard, just to prove that you could, and to delay my trip to Philadelphia. Well done! I enjoyed the quality time I got with my kids, trying to clean off tons of ice and snow off the driveway.

Fast forward to Tuesday. What a beautiful snow storm you got us. It might have been a bit soon after the ice storm, but hey, we did need some exercise and at least it was only about four inches. Not too bad, and yet another opportunity for family bonding time.



I was less amused when I saw the weather forecast for Friday. Um... Didn't we just have a snow storm? I appreciate the efforts, but I wouldn't have minded having a few more days off from shoveling. Tim got volunteered as helper of the day, and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Tim's too. Did I mention we barely had dug out from the ice and the snow storm before this?

Yesterday, we actually got the driveway clean enough to get out to do Christmas shopping (four days till Christmas, yikes!) It won't last long though, since you are sending us ANOTHER darned snow storm! This is what our front yard looked like this morning, before this snow storm even has started in earnest! Notice the snow? EVERYWHERE?



A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 9 am this morning to 5 am EST Monday.

Total snow accumulations will range from 8 to 20 inches. Considerable blowing and drifting snow with near blizzard conditions can be expected.

Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel... keep an extra flashlight... food... and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.




You gotta be kidding me! Let us do some basic math. This is FOUR storms in less than TEN days. And winter isn't even starting till today! (Happy solstice to you too!)

I appreciate all the energy you put into sending us ice and snow, really I do. Especially with all the global warming going on. But really, we are fine now and would like it to STOP SNOWING ALREADY!

Thank you and take care,

Karen

3 comments:

Annelies said...

Lieve weergoden,
Mogen wij wat sneeuw en ijs hier in dit alleen-maar-natte-kikkerlandje?
Wij dromen allang niet meer van een witte kerst, maar één keer in een winter een écht pak sneeuw is toch niet te veel gevraagd?
(PS: dan wel graag in het weekeinde, als ik niet met de auto de weg op moet..)

Wendy said...

Suddenly I have a whole new appreciation of my very short, very flat Midwestern driveway.

Wendy- whose husband is surprised that she doesn't miss snow even a little tiny bit.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how beautiful it must be especially with Christmas nearly here. I know it's not the perfect arrangement for everyone but I'd love to have just a little..or 14 inches :)

Dodging the snowball now..

Lauren/TN