Monday, September 26, 2011

Geocaching Adventures

 


Many years ago, we were new to geocaching and decided to hide a geocache on this hill. Cees was the official hider.

 


The cache was quite a hike up, but pretty popular and people really liked the view. But one day this year, the ammo box which was the geocache just disappeared. Into nothingness. Which is not totally unheard of, but in this case the people who took the ammo box did leave the contents of the cache. So there was one wet and soon becoming slimy and moldy geocache left.

 


I saw the notes from geocaching.com but many other shiny things were vying for my attention, so never made it up to do maintenance and replace the cache.

 


Yesterday we finally did! The cache is a nice new container and back in perfect condition. Not only that but we found two new to us caches AND we hid another cache.

 


Being out in the woods is good for my soul. There is a sense of calmness and adventure and happiness which gets into me when I go out caching even if there is much whining and groaning and moaning and gnashing of teeth.

 


We found out that exercise induced asthma does get induced by geocaching, what a surprise. Next time I will bring the albuterol for sure. It wasn't too bad because we could take plenty of breaks, but it's a good reminder to think a bit more deeply when preparing for a caching trip.

 


Not to mention that I am out of the habit of always carrying at least one working flashlight with me. Which clearly tells me we haven't been geocaching enough, since we will inevitably end up in the woods after dark. Not yesterday, but often enough in the past.

 


I am totally motivated to hide more caches and of course find more of them too. In my spare time that is. Oh wait...

 


Today I found out that two of my acquaintances were on the lake while we were climbing the hill that overlooked the lake. I didn't notice any of them, but it was one of those 'small world moments' to find out we were all in the same general area.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: