Wednesday, October 03, 2018

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...

The Good

Next week, we will go to New York City for two nights. As you might know, we rarely pay for hotels since we have a lot of Hilton honor points. As you also might know, hotels in New York City are expensive. We looked around and the cheapest was a Hilton Garden Inn close to Time Square for only 46,000 points.

Statue of Liberty with beautiful sunset

We also noticed a new Hilton hotel, The London NYC, at a better location, but it was 95,000 points. This is a Conrad hotel, and we had a really good experience at a Conrad in Singapore last year so we would love to stay there. Still, we didn't want to spend that many points.


New York City skyline with thunderous clouds above it

Luckily I remembered that we still had some free weekend night certificates from our Hilton Ascend American Express card. It didn't take long to call Hilton Honors and get one of these applied to the London NYC. Together with points for Monday night, we saved more than $1,000. Looking forward to staying there!

The Bad

We used to have two cars, but in January, one of the kids totalled one of them... She was fine, the other driver was fine, but the car was not. Since we had talked about becoming a one car family anyway, we shrugged and moved on and hoped for the best. Of course we realized that at some point that one car might become too costly to repair, and we could be at that point. We will find out soon, keeping our fingers crossed we can limp along with this one for a bit longer.

Two of our girls looking out over the ocean on a wintery day

The Ugly

One of the indignities and annoyances of my multiple sclerosis is regular check ups on my overactive bladder. Yesterday I had one of these not-fun-at-all checkups and found out that my bladder was not performing like it should. As a result, I get to go on an additional medication. That is all good and well, but the ugly and scary part was that they stated that the next step would be to inject botox into my bladder, to paralyze the overactive muscle... I haven't researched it yet, but the thought of it scares me. Meanwhile I am supposed to mostly cut out, or at least severely limit tea and coffee. Yuck, yuck, yuck.
Tiger heron snatching a baby crocodile
I don't want to give up my favorite drinks!




No comments: