Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Long Journey

Finally time to sit down and tell the story. It all started with a seemingly endless journey. Car, bus, air plane. It seemed like a drag but I also realized anew how much I enjoy traveling. The anticipation. The flight. The people watching. The reading without interruptions.

I had a layover on the Azores, a place where I had never been. I always imagined as a warm and tropical paradise. Well, I clearly was wrong about that, it was cold, rainy, windy and miserable.

I was lucky enough to get a window seat, so enjoyed seeing all the sights from the air.
Lisbon was quite impressive. But even that wasn't the end of my journey.
Took the metro to the train station. I did manage to get my metro ticket in Portuguese at one of those ticket machines, without ever having to switch to English. Made me feel very accomplished. Yeah, I am easily amused ^^
The first thing I saw in Lisbon airport was a stand where I could buy Ben & Jerry's. You gotta be kidding me. I fly all over the ocean, to a faraway and foreign country and I can eat the same ice cream as I can in Vermont!?
Didn't get to spend any time in Lisbon beyond some quick train station pictures.
And I found The Best Clementines at the station, a great snack during the long journey since I hadn't eaten much with all this traveling and by now my body was all like "what about some sleep?" "or food? Nah, it isn't time to eat!"
My train!!!! I used to travel by train so much when I still lived in the Netherlands, but even after living in the States for many years, I still haven't made it into any trains here. It was so much fun to be in an European train again!
Not much to do beyond admiring the scenery and reading more of my book and wondering how many more hours.
And of course the enjoyment of being in a foreign country and see new trees and cows and everything. Yeah, Portugal turns out to have cows too! That must be why they have Ben and Jerry's!
Had bad tea with lots of sugar in the cafe car and wondered how many more hours.
Finally made it to my almost-destination!
Apart from yet another car ride.
And another sunset.
But eventually the palm trees convinced me that yes, I reached my destination. Guess what I did? I was soooooooooo tired, we ate quick dinner and I went to bed. In Portugal!

No comments: